Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year internet!

Every year that goes by is bittersweet, to me at least. There are new faces coming into our lives, and beloved faces leaving them. To look back in regret is something that no one should do, unless you're on a killing spree, then yes... regret the killing part and go turn yourself in. Right now.

Most of us do not look back at the previous year and think "Damn, I really shouldn't have done that" or "Man, I know that was a dumb thing to try". Actually, most of the people I talk to around New years are saying: "This next year I'm going to..." Fill in the blank.

New Year's Resolutions!

They range from anything as trite (and redundant) as losing 5, 10, 50 lbs to endeavoring to buy a small island. But its a goal. A dream, if you will... and I won't begrudge anyone their dreams. I've had the weight loss one so many years in a row that I don't count it as a resolution anymore. I did make one, though.

Don't worry, its not "blog every day" cause we know thats not going to happen.

Actually, I'm going to finish one of my stories and try and get it published. Hell, in this age of digital publishing, I might just do that part myself.

Whether or not anything gets done is not really the relevant part of the resolution. Its more that things are being done in the spirit of self-improvement. Its sort of like what my brother, Thomas always used to say when I was a kid "Shoot for the stars, and even if you never quite make it that far, you'll still be further than if you had never tried at all."

I like that.

2 comments:

Neko Noir said...

Have you ever done NaNoWriMo??

Monika CG Tiffany said...

Ya know, I haven't, but I friend of mine did, and now she's a professional romance writer. I'm just too lazy to really write every day, I think. But it would be a fun thing to try. Wanna try it with me?